This 23-building tuberculosis sanatorium operated from 1934 to 1982 and has sat vacant ever since under Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission ownership; as of 2026 Prince George's County is again seeking a developer to rehabilitate the site. The grounds are open parkland but every building is condemned, sealed, and patrolled by Park Police, who enforce trespassing charges. Interiors are saturated with asbestos and lead paint, and floor and roof collapses are widespread.
Vestige documents abandoned & historic places for education and preservation. Always obtain permission before visiting and follow local law.