The granite quarries that birthed America's first commercial railway (1826) and supplied stone for Bunker Hill Monument, worked until 1963 and later notorious as flooded, car-strewn swimming holes. The quarries were drained and filled with Big Dig spoil around 2000, and the site is now a 22-acre DCR state reservation famous for its riotously graffitied rock faces and legal top-rope climbing. Access is free and easy off Ricciuti Drive. The managed status doesn't flatten the terrain: unfenced cliff edges of 20-90 feet have caused serious falls.
Vestige documents abandoned & historic places for education and preservation. Always obtain permission before visiting and follow local law.